I Don't Get You: A Guide to Healthy Conversations by Sherry Graf (Book Review)


I Don't Get You: A Guide to Healthy Conversations by Sherry Graf is a very quick read (I finished it in about an hour) but it contains some valuable insights about choosing wise conversation - topics and intimacy considered - for different levels of relationship between members of the opposite sex. Graf does a good job of illustrating her points through imagined scenarios which help the reader to see the need for the principles and to get an idea of how to apply them in real life. I have to say I found the title did not really indicate the actual content of the book. I had expected something about gender-based differences in communicating, but this book looks at "emotional purity" in conversation.

Despite the usefulness of the principles and how I could recall instances in my life when I wish I had done and said things differently, I will place Graf's perspective firmly in the place of opinion, not as conversational rule. As I was reading I could recall and envision times when my conversations broke these guidelines and still turned out to be enriching and not emotionally compromising. 

Certainly there is much to be gained by becoming aware of Graf's views and integrating them into a more overarching body of personal wisdom for relating to the opposite sex. I feel that teenagers and young adults will get the most out of this book, but it's easy-to-read style and convenient length would recommend it to anyone interested in learning how to guard their heart and the hearts of others in new relationships with members of the opposite sex. 

3 of 5 stars from me.

A complimentary copy of this book was provided for review but the views expressed here are solely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment