April 25, 2011

God Does All Things Well

'Ah, Lord GOD! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for You.' ~ Jeremiah 32:17

On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. Now both Jesus and His disciples were invited to the wedding. And when they ran out of wine, the mother of Jesus said to Him, “They have no wine.” Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does your concern have to do with Me? My hour has not yet come.” His mother said to the servants, “Whatever He says to you, do it.”
Now there were set there six waterpots of stone, according to the manner of purification of the Jews, containing twenty or thirty gallons apiece. Jesus said to them, “Fill the waterpots with water.” And they filled them up to the brim. And He said to them, “Draw some out now, and take it to the master of the feast.” And they took it. When the master of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the master of the feast called the bridegroom. And he said to him, “Every man at the beginning sets out the good wine, and when the guests have well drunk, then the inferior. You have kept the good wine until now!”

John 2:1-10
I have struggled with many fundamental truths about God's nature, particularly having to do with God's specific, individual, love and care for me. It doesn't make any sense to me right now that I ever doubted that His intentions towards me were for good and not for evil (even after I knew the popular Bible verse recorded in Jeremiah 29:11-13), but because I didn't know Him much at all, it all boiled down to a lack of trust in Him. From this single deficit, almost every other aspect of my life has at some time been negatively influenced because of poor decisions I made while trying to figure out what was best for myself. And this was despite some prayers, and despite some knowledge of Scripture. Until I really came to believe that God was for me and not against me; that God wanted the best for me and cared about the details of my life; and that God really is a good God, I continued to say I trusted God with many things but never totally released them to Him or accepted His will.

The popular story of Jesus' first miracle of turning water into wine at the wedding in Cana of Galilee took on whole new meaning for me recently when the Holy Spirit illuminated a single simple truth as a reminder that God can be trusted to act on our behalf. So perfect are His works, and so high above our ways are His ways, that the wine He makes from only water makes man's best appear to be nothing more than inferior, cheap wine!

This marvelous truth reminded me of another Scripture verse which says that "The foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men" (1 Corinthians 1:25).

Is it any wonder then that those who wait for God don't ever wind up ashamed (see Psalms 25:3; Isaiah 49:23; Psalm 37)?

What are you hoping in God for? What are you waiting on God for? Let God be the One who determines the path you should take and trust His timing. Just like Mary exhorted the servants, and just as they also did, only be diligent to do whatever the Lord says to you. His heart is for you, He does all things well, and His ways are perfect (Psalm 18:30; Deut. 32:4; 2 Samuel 22:31)!

He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?
Romans 8:32
 Facebook
 Google+
 Twitter

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for such a well written article. It’s full of insightful information and entertaining descriptions. Your point of view is the best among many.
    What Are the 10 Best Bible Verses to Memorize for Youth?

    ReplyDelete