April 8, 2010

Another perfect attribute of our God - be warned

"See now that I, even I, am He,
and there is no god beside Me;
I kill and I make alive;
I wound and I heal;
and there is none that can deliver out of My hand."
Deuteronomy 32:39, ESV

It really bothers me when I hear people speak of God as if He is nothing more than a version of Santa Claus.  This benign, even weak figure-head of a nebulous set of principles for life (indeed, there are hardly principles since things tend to be taken on a case by case basis where our ideas of love are projected unto Him to justify what we want to do) smiles on everyone and shies away from making judgments about right and wrong, righteousness and sin. He can be disobeyed indefinitely and one should never expect chastening or punishment.

Yet, the God of the Bible is nothing like this. As if to reiterate this truth proved over and over again in the Old Testament record, Jesus says to us:

"But I will warn you Whom to fear: fear Him who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell.  Yes, I tell you, fear Him!"
Luke 12:5, ESV

The goodness and mercy of the LORD are unmatched. But so too is His power and wrath.
It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
Hebrews 10:31, ESV

Yes, we've been warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment