April 28, 2010

Paper's personal touch

I mailed some greeting cards and letters abroad during the last three weeks and today I went to the post office to send off my last letter - for now. It was such a thrill to have an envelope in hand, with a postage stamp and then see it slide into the 'box' labelled 'Overseas.' I have missed that. I didn't realize it though, since all my communication with friends abroad has been via email, Facebook, Skype and phone calls and text messages for a very, very long time. According to an article by Tom Barlow, the 9th thing on the list of the Top 25 things vanishing from America is handwritten-letters. And I think there is just something about paper that seems to make the letter a keepsake. I do archive certain emails, but my paper greeting cards and letters go into a special box which I made for myself years ago. There is a certain satisfaction in browsing through it, even many months apart. There is something special about holding paper in your hand and imagining someone writing, thinking, signing...for the purpose of sending it to you.

Send someone a handwritten note today...or at least type a note on paper, print and send with a personal signature!

2 comments:

  1. ah, speaking to my heart. i love hand written letters! i am glad to hear you do as well! i do think it is becoming a lost art but i think it's refreshing that there are still people out there who enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete