May 14, 2010

Up and Down


Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray.
Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms.
James 5:13

I was thinking about God's prescriptions for the circumstances in which we find ourselves. There is an instruction that will help us draw closer to Him for anything that we face. The verse above from the book of James is concise, potent and too easily overlooked.

Since this came to my attention in this fresh way during the past two weeks, I have been performing spot checks on my circumstances and my emotions. If I find even a twinge of 'feeling blue' I say a prayer to God and turn my eyes upward in that sense. If I find myself bubbly, and happy I want to translate it into vocal and specific praise and gratitude to God. It really makes a difference by not allowing sadness to turn into depression or incapacitating feelings, and by fostering communion with the LORD even during the good times, when no special request needs to be made of Him.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this verse. It's so simple but full of so much wisdom!

    ReplyDelete