May 27, 2010

When God sings over me

I was going through a difficult time that lasted for several months in the early part of 2008. I had faith in God, but as you know, enduring the trial/waiting on God is many times the 'real' test of that faith. And the whole outcome hangs on it.

I was at the church I then attended one Sunday...I remember the pastor wasn't there and there was no regular service (with sermon) but just before being dismissed, the pastor's wife came up front and sang this song.



To others, it was just a nicely done song. I later came to find out it is a popular oldie that has been song many times over in the past 40 years.
I had never heard it before. What I do know is that the song was God's word to me that day.
I was overwhelmed. It was like God was having it sung to ME. Well, I'm pretty sure He was.

I got home and that song replayed in my heart for about two weeks. I looked it up on the web just to find the lyrics so I could learn the song and hold on to it myself, singing along with what I remembered. The song itself didn't make the issues go away but I remember investing even more time in seeking out God's word and confessing it and praying it and thanking Him for it. He even rewarded me with a wonderful revelation on one of the Psalms during that time, which completely changed my attitude toward the situation and brought me over and out of the test.

Well, more than two years have passed now and I still don't purposefully listen to anything in this genre, but this song can still make me cry when I recall the goodness and faithfulness of God. We really can feed on His faithfulness as Psalm 37 says - or as one translation explains, 'befriend' (His) faithfulness.

2 comments:

  1. It's beautiful when God speaks to us through a song, or word, or another person...

    and it's so personal and different for each one of us. He's amazing like that. ;)

    ReplyDelete