June 19, 2010

God does miracles of healing too

I suddenly found myself that morning with a severe pain at the base of my neck. It felt like I had suffered some type of physical trauma, perhaps as one might feel in a car accident. I could not recall any incident that would have caused it. I had suffered two severe cases of wry neck [torticollis] as a child so although the pain was excruciating it did not alarm me. I winced my way through the day, trying not to turn my head at all, walking around with my neck encircled by my own hands as a makeshift brace. I suppose I thought it would just go away and it never once even crossed my mind to pray about it. But that night as I tried to go to bed, it was impossible. There was no pillow that could help. I could not be careful enough. I could not lay on my back. I could not lay on my side. Every single movement had an effect on my spine and neck and the sheer weight of my head in a horizontal position was unbearable. After an entire day of pain the condition was not improved. I could not even alleviate it enough to lay down to sleep. I realized I was in a real dilemma. I could not go to sleep. But if I did not go to sleep, there was no way that my fatigued body could stay awake to keep my neck in a pin straight, upright position. This was an impossibility to me. I was finally desperate enough to remember to pray.

I didn't pray right away. I had been teaching a little bible study at church and we were at that time in a series on Prayer and the Word of God. I spent some time pondering out loud before God every incident I could recall in the Gospels where Jesus healed people. I was amazed anew. There was no time that someone came to Him with faith that He could heal them, without being healed. I told Him that's what I saw in His word. It had just been a matter of minutes, but my faith was suddenly buoyed. He would heal me if I had faith for it. And why shouldn't I have faith for it? I was sure of God's character as I pondered His ways in the Gospel accounts.

I prayed something like this:
"Lord, I see in Your word that no  one who ever came to Jesus with faith was turned away unhealed. You have power to do this. You are willing to do this. Lord, Your word says, You "send Your word and heal" [see Psalm 107:20], therefore I ask You to send Your word into my neck and heal...actually Lord, in the name of Jesus, I send Your word and heal me [see Mark 16:17,18]! I thank You for doing it in Jesus' name." My boldness surprised me.

In that very moment, all pain vanished. I checked. I was pain free. No traces, no stiffness, no little twinge of aching. Nothing at all. I kid you not.

I thanked God and fell asleep quickly.

The next Sunday at church I testified before the bible study class I was teaching. My experience became an example of answered prayer which we had been speaking so much about. It inspired amazement among everyone,  to the glory of God! He had not only taught me, but taught me so that I could teach others.

The little prayer I prayed that night may not have been an orthodox 'prayer for healing,' but it looked fully to God, was built upon the premise of His word and I expected it to be answered only for Christ's sake. My heart was filled with faith that rose up in that instant as I pondered the healing miracles of Christ in the word of God. And just like He did back then, God answered my faith with His healing power.

Then Jesus answered her, "O woman, great is your faith! Be it done for you as you desire." And her daughter was healed instantly.
Matthew 15:28 ESV

Look at what the LORD has done!

God has done too much for me in my short and tumultuous life to be silent about - especially when there is such a wide forum for His praise at my fingertips! This is another post specifically intended to give God thanks for the steadfast love and abundant mercy He's poured out on me. It is my 'testimony time' of sorts. It is my hope that you will  marvel at His excellencies and be stirred to trust in Him, and His word, more than ever before.

No comments:

Post a Comment