June 16, 2010

The God who acts for those who wait on Him

A few years ago I was in need of a job. I was fresh out of university and hadn't been working for the last two years of my studies. I needed to get back on track, earn money and stop being a burden to my parents. My mom has always been a stay at home mom and wife, and my dad had just been retired for a few months and quite frankly, looked stressed and uncertain about this new stage of his life. I needed a job!

I had been fasting weekly for some time. Not about a job. I was just seeking more of God sincerely and the outworking of my life in Him. I would fast on Wednesdays, sometimes attending 'fast and prayer' services with a small group on the porch of a friend's pastor's home. Sometimes I couldn't attend, but I fasted at home, just me and the Lord together. One Wednesday, I had a strong, unexpected desire to go to a particular government ministry which someone had been urging me to visit for quite some time. I resisted it. After all, this was my special morning where I spent time seeking God, seeking to get closer.  The urge persisted. And even though at that time I didn't know I 'heard' the voice of the Lord much, I went with this urge. I didn't feel convicted, I prayed about it and trusted.

I still remember looking all snazzy and super professional in a suit that was completed with a hot pink pencil skirt. I was probably a vision of professional corporate confidence. I got to the building, got to the relevant office and went to the receptionist. She promptly handed me a typed list of all the documents I would need to bring back with me, obviously used to having to do this part. I looked at it and shocked her when I told her that I had all of it with me right then (another God-thing). Just then, a guy walked out to the front, he saw me, came over to talk to me. I had no idea I was talking to the Head of the department's 'right hand' person. He inquired as to why I was there. He found out I had all my documents and without further ado he told me to come with him (bypassing all of the usual procedures as I later found out). Within minutes I was talking to the department's head and in under 10 minutes, I was being asked, "So when do you want to start, today or tomorrow?"

I started at my new job the next day. Although I can clearly trace a pattern of hard lessons and growth from each job I've had before and since that time, this job remains the place in which I had the most obvious 'fruit' for God. I spoke to people almost daily about Jesus. It seemed that God brought them to me, I didn't even have to go looking. He would put words in my mouth to encourage, to counsel, to caution. God came through for me again. He had provided again. He had stretched my faith again. He had shown Himself faithful again.

For since the beginning of the world
Men have not heard nor perceived by the ear, 

Nor has the eye seen any God besides You, 
Who acts for the one who waits for Him. 
Isaiah 64:4, NKJV

Look at what the LORD has done!

God has done too much for me in my short and tumultuous life to be silent about - especially when there is such a wide forum for His praise at my fingertips! This is another post specifically intended to give God thanks for the steadfast love and abundant mercy He's poured out on me. It is my 'testimony time' of sorts. It is my hope that you will  marvel at His excellencies and be stirred to trust in Him, and His word, more than ever before.

No comments:

Post a Comment