July 18, 2010

Cry out all the more

And they came to Jericho. And as he was leaving Jericho with his disciples and a great crowd, Bartimaeus, a blind beggar, the son of Timaeus, was sitting by the roadside. And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!" And many rebuked him, telling him to be silent. But he cried out all the more, "Son of David, have mercy on me!" And Jesus stopped and said, "Call him." And they called the blind man, saying to him, "Take heart. Get up; he is calling you." And throwing off his cloak, he sprang up and came to Jesus.
Mark 10:46-50, ESV
I really love this Scriptural account. As I read it I try to recreate the events in my mind. I see the scorn with which the blind man was treated - after all, the most popular Rabbi was passing through town and he was just the town's blind beggar, with so few reasons to hope for change (we later learn that he was born blind). The town's people probably wanted to make a good impression, or probably wanted silence so they could hang on every word Jesus may speak. Maybe they just wanted to be able to hear in case he would call one of them forward to perform a great miracle for them. In any case, they tried to shut up this desperate blind man.

I was floored the first time I really saw this phrase: "But he cried out all the more."
And then the result: Jesus stopped and said, "Call him."


Jesus stopped. Jesus gave the command to bring him near. Wow.

God graciously appoints comforters and helpers to cross our path when we most need them, but very often we must feel, experience and navigate our trial alone. After all, not even the best friend can be our deliverer. Do you remember Job in his severe trial? God is the Savior and there isn't salvation in any other.

It's also a sad reality that many people who seem to care about our situation, don't really care, don't really pray, and don't really want to get involved - they just want to know what's going on. Let us, therefore, throw off the fear of man - what people will think or say - and go after God desperately. He is able to save, deliver and heal. He binds up the brokenhearted, heals the lame and revives the faint. Jehovah Shalom knows how to make us whole and give us peace. Your confession, and your expression of your need for Him, in bold and desperate faith will make Jesus stop and turn towards you.

 Take heart...

Cry out all the more!

 You know my reproach, my shame, and my dishonor;
My adversaries are all before You.
Reproach has broken my heart,
And I am full of heaviness;
I looked for someone to take pity, but there was none;
And for comforters, but I found none.
But I am poor and sorrowful;
Let Your salvation, O God, set me up on high.
I will praise the name of God with a song,
 

Psalm 69:19-20, 29-30

No comments:

Post a Comment