December 12, 2010

Passing or Failing God's Tests


God tests the hearts of men (Prov. 17:3; Jer. 11:20). Why He would choose to do this when He already knows what is in each person's heart is not clear. There is the possibility that His tests and their results are recorded evidence for us to learn from, as well as proof for or against us which we will not be able to deny for purposes of judgment.

What's more, God also specifically tests the righteous - His own redeemed people (Psalm 11:5; 1 Thess. 2:4; Jer. 20:12). God presents or allows circumstances and people to face us with certain 'propositions' and looks to see what we will do.

Here are a few cases to consider:

1. David at king Saul's encampment (1 Sam. 26) ~ PASS

King Saul had brutally murdered an entire town of priests and their families in addition to several continuing attempts to murder David. God had already determined and confirmed that he was unfit to be the king over His people because of his rebellion and disobedience. In fact, David had long been anointed to take his place by God's prophet, Samuel.

Here we have righteous David coming into the camp of Saul's army and not a soul stirred.
"No man saw it or knew it, nor did any awake, for they were all asleep, because a deep sleep from the LORD had fallen upon them" (verse 12).
It seems like God set this up for David doesn't it? But in fact it was a test. God looked to see what David would do. Would he choose to kill Saul so that he would no longer need to be on the run, and be easily established on the throne God had given him? David had several righteous reasons and by common reasoning this would have been an acceptable and expected move to make against Saul. But David knew God's heart and ways from having spent years cultivating intimacy in the true fear of God and it was demonstrated in his words.
"The LORD rewards every man for his righteousness and his faithfulness, for the LORD gave you into my hand today, and I would not put out my hand against the LORD's anointed. Behold, as your life was precious this day in my sight, so may my life be precious in the sight of the LORD, and may he deliver me out of all tribulation."
1 Sam. 26:23-24, ESV

Davids decision brought glory to God and proved His trust in God. He would let God protect and vindicate Him. He would wait upon God to bring to pass His own word concerning his life.


2. Abraham would sacrifice Isaac (Genesis 22) ~ PASS

Abraham's wait for the promised heir, Isaac, was a very long one. God waited until well over the time of Sarah's childbearing age and when Abraham was a very old man before He caused the child to be conceived. But when the miracle child was just a boy God asked Abraham to make Isaac a sacrifice.

Abraham faithfully set out to make the sacrifice and was not halted by God until the knife had already been raised over his promised heir. This is how God declared that Abraham had passed this test:
"Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me" (verse 12).


3. Nehemiah's integrity delivers him from his enemy's plot (Nehemiah 6) ~ PASS

Nehemiah spent several months leading a mission to begin rebuilding Jerusalem which was opposed from start till finish. God had sent him but His enemies' strategies had been unrelenting, using both direct and indirect methods which included slander, mockery, and discouragement, as well as totally violent plans to murder Nehemiah and end the work. After various plots had failed, a traitor was assigned to lure him into a snare to protect himself at the cost of the lives of the people. The traitor enticed him to hide himself in the temple while the rumored massacre would take place, but observe Nehemiah's response:
"Now when I went into the house of Shemaiah the son of Delaiah, son of Mehetabel, who was confined to his home, he said, "Let us meet together in the house of God, within the temple. Let us close the doors of the temple, for they are coming to kill you. They are coming to kill you by night."
But I said, "Should such a man as I run away? And what man such as I could go into the temple and live? I will not go in."
And I understood and saw that God had not sent him, but he had pronounced the prophecy against me because Tobiah and Sanballat had hired him. For this purpose he was hired, that I should be afraid and act in this way and sin, and so they could give me a bad name in order to taunt me.
Neh. 6:10-13


4. The young prophet deceived by the old prophet (1 Kings 13) ~ FAIL

The young prophet had been sent on a mission that displayed the might of God against the evil king Jeroboam. At first he followed God's instructions about his journey rigidly (he was not to stop to eat or drink or lodge with anyone, nor return by the same way he came) even resolutely refusing the offer of reward and refreshment from the king, until an older prophet was able to deceive him on the journey back. The old prophet claimed to have a new word from God which would give the young prophet permission to do the very things God had personally warned him against. Perhaps in a state of natural fatigue and hunger, the young prophet welcomed this new word without inquiring of the Lord and he stopped to have a meal with the old prophet. Then the true word of the Lord came to the old prophet and foretold that the young prophet would die on account of his disobedience to the word of God entrusted to him.
"And as they sat at the table, the word of the LORD came to the prophet who had brought him back. And he cried to the man of God who came from Judah, "Thus says the LORD, 'Because you have disobeyed the word of the LORD and have not kept the command that the LORD your God commanded you, but have come back and have eaten bread and drunk water in the place of which he said to you, "Eat no bread and drink no water," your body shall not come to the tomb of your fathers.'"
1 King 13:20-22
Time had scarcely passed before the young prophet was killed by a lion, and even the old prophet lamented his death greatly.


5. King Hezekiah's pride and desire to impress man (2 Chron. 32; 2 Kings 20) ~ FAIL

King Hezekiah had ruled righteously as a king who had faith in God, prayed, and received answers and deliverance from God. As we read about Hezekiah's rule in the text, we will see that although he served God, he had fallen into the snare of pride and pleasure in the praises of people, perhaps on more than one occasion. In a time of peace between His nation and Babylon, he invited the visiting nobles of Babylon to have a royal tour. It seemed like a normal, inconsequential royal courtesy but God looked on to see what Hezekiah would do.
"And so in the matter of the envoys of the princes of Babylon, who had been sent to him to inquire about the sign that had been done in the land, God left him to himself, in order to test him and to know all that was in his heart."
2 Chron. 32:31
As it turned out, Hezekiah showed off all the treasures and splendors of the kingdom and temple to the Babylonians. When the prophet Isaiah was sent to him concerning this matter, the word of the Lord came to Hezekiah to let him know that all that he had revealed and displayed to the Babylonians would one day be plundered by that heathen kingdom.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

As I was pondering Scriptural examples of God's people tested in this way, it was clear that these tests are not simply superfluous experiments God conducts in spare time. Our 'pass' or 'fail' has great implications for our life, and those around us, both now and in eternity.

God's tests seem to be expert at uncovering the hidden conditions and realities of our heart and spiritual life, but may not always deal with straightforward matters of right or wrong, righteousness or sin. God's tests may involve circumstances, words, and the timing of events which appear to be God's doing, with an invitation for us to act. Meanwhile God looks to see if we will stay the course He has set us on; if we will continue to wait for Him; if we will inquire of Him; if we will act in the fear of Him and higher integrity than others may expect of us, and if we will refuse to do what others may not even object to.

God's tests show how much we really know His ways and what pleases Him. There is, therefore, no way to prepare to pass these tests without cultivating intimacy with God. Seeking to move beyond discipline to delight, valuing times of prayer and a love for His word, along with obedience, are the keys to passing these tests that will come unannounced.

3 comments:

  1. I think I failed a massive test God gave me soon after I first became a Christian... And as a result doubt and demonic interference plagued me for years and I almost fell away from God. I can see the consequences of failing the test and I constantly beat myself up. There was a single moment where God asked me to continue to trust him despite temptation to do things my way, like the young prophet, and I failed and turned away from him, and as a result he gave me over to sin and cut me off from true intimacy with him for years. I truly don't know if he's taken away all the blessings and callings he planned to give me had I passed. Be warned I guess. God isn't to be messed with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I failed a massive test God gave me soon after I got saved. Like the young prophet, he asked me to continue to trust him despite the temptation to do things my way, and as a result he gave me over to my sin and cut me off from true intimacy with him for years. I still don't know if he's taken away all the blessings and callings he'd planned to give me had I obeyed. Be warned. God is not to be messed with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Js, thanks for taking the time to comment. I don't know your story but what I do know is that God is very merciful, and His gifts and callings are without repentance (Romans 11:29) meaning that He doesn't change His mind about them. If you made a mistake at any point, and particularly as a young believer, God knew your level of knowledge and growth in your walk with Him; it is not expected to be the same as a mature believer. He will correct you as a good Father, but will not judge you harshly. He will not cut you off. He wants you to win. He wants you to overcome. This is part of His good plan for you. Friend, if you have confessed and repented of your sin, it is completely forgiven and He is not holding it against you for even one second. It seems to me that your bigger problem is that you have somehow received the enemy's lies about God's character. He is such a good God and the God of second-other chances. I KNOW because that is my story. I'm living my second chance. I recommend you read the book God is Good by Bill Johnson. But even if you can't, start talking to God again honestly about all your concerns and questions. Ask Him to show you more of who He really is. He loves you and is waiting for you to come back home.

      Delete