January 31, 2011

Keep Listening


"Cease listening to instruction, my son,
And you will stray from the words of knowledge."
Proverbs 19:27

We live in an information age. There is Scripture and Bible commentary available locally in churches (for most in the Western world), on TV, on the Internet, on Social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter, in book stores, and of course, in our very own bibles. But it's very easy for knowledge and information accumulation to take the place of the real listening which the Scripture above refers to.

Several years ago when Christ had laid hold of me, I quickly fell in love with His word and fed on it voraciously. Then I entered a new phase whereby I looked forward to my Bible reading times with a pen and notebook in hand - but in a whole new way. It was so subtle I wouldn't have noticed on my own. That is to say, if the Holy Spirit hadn't brought it to my attention, I wouldn't have seen that I had made a shift towards merely enjoying the intellectual pursuit of my Bible studies. I loved seeing patterns, trends, understanding, referencing, note-taking...studying. It is not a bad thing in itself, but I had quickly shifted from being excited about getting to know God from His word, to just enjoying studying - taking very little conscious thought to the ultimate purpose of my studies. By the grace of God, I was able to repent, and make my Bible reading more intentional by asking myself what I had learned about God's ways and character. Coupled with obedience, I believe this is the beginning of sincere listening, and in straying from it we may eventually accumulate knowledge that will not profit us. After all, knowledge resides in the mind, but it does a hardened heart no good.

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16-17, ESV

Listening and learning never ends. Now that I know that the Word of God is essential to every facet of my life, and although I have accumulated some knowledge of God's ways and His will, I must not cease from listening. Even now, if I were to choose to starve myself of the Word of God and forgo fellowship with Him, I would find deception, idolatry and other sin increasingly, and easily taking its place. The same would be true of you. That's what the Word of God says. "Cease listening to instruction, my son, and you will stray from the words of knowledge." And many lives have illustrated its truth.

Life-sustaining, overcoming 'listening' must be rooted in an ever-increasing dependent and intimate relationship with God and His Word. Those who are listening prove it by their obedience. We must keep listening!


The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul;
The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple;
The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart;
The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes;
The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever;
The judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold,
Yea, than much fine gold; 
Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
Moreover by them Your servant is warned,
And in keeping them there is great reward.

Psalm 19:7-11

2 comments:

  1. Great message,DD! You are so right. The word of God is our force and our strength. It is amazing how the enemy will send distractions in our life to keep us from our time with God in his word. He knows that God will always give us a word of strength and direction every time we meet with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The enemy does, and we also have ourselves to monitor. I've been learning that it is an every.day.walk. No holidays from doing what needs to be done!

    ReplyDelete