January 12, 2011

The Way He Looks At Me


I've been to a few weddings now, and an unforgettable one very recently. I think most people will agree that the highlight of the ceremony is the bride's entrance and walk down the aisle to meet the groom. But as in the last weddings I attended, I find myself anticipating almost as much, the groom's expression as his soon-to-be-wife approaches...Actually I miss much of the bride's march down the aisle because I find myself staying tuned to the groom's expression. It thrills my heart...the range of dumbfounded, overwhelmed, even teary-eyed or solemn-in-awe expressions as he sees his bride-to-be headed straight for a lifetime covenant with him, before God.

I have been listening to More Than Ashes sung by by Tim Reimherr of Merchant Band and it makes me think of this captivating scenario, especially when I get to the middle marker (you've got to listen if you don't already know it!)


I have yet to become someone's bride but I'm looking forward to that God-ordained moment, even as I grasp the significance of what that groom's look means to his bride. She puts her all into presenting herself to him, and for him, in that moment. Her reward begins at seeing the approval and pleasure in her groom's eyes. 

Jesus Christ is the Lamb and His blood-bought Saints are His chosen bride. His heart is full for us even now but there is going to be a wedding.  I guarantee you that no earthly wedding, no earthly love, no earthly groom will have ever looked at His bride with more pleasure and awe as He will look at us on that Day. Now that's something worth getting ready for and the Day is fast approaching!

"Let us be glad and rejoice and give Him glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His wife has made herself ready.”
Revelation 19:7

1 comment: