June 25, 2010

God is for me

You've probably all heard the popular Scripture verse, "If God is for us, who can be against us?" That's a wonderful promise and sure encouragement that I hold on to daily, but that's not what I wanted to talk about today - gotcha didn't I?  I wanted to share an incident which reminded me that there are some 'Christians' who really believe that God is their heavenly butler and oh boy, what a good God that makes Him in their eyes. Yeppers, God is 'for' them - He exists to please them.

I received a friend request on Facebook recently. I noted that this person and I had one mutual friend but as is my custom, I peruse what I can of a total stranger's profile, wall, posts and pages to get a sense of what type of person is sending me a request. I was shocked to read multiple status messages which said something like,
 "God is just blessing me so much! Because of Him I'm going to be a singer, recording artist, minister and dancer. He does so much for me!"
I was taken aback. Surely I read it 'wrong'. So I read it again. Then I read further down the Wall and there was more....Sadly, the only thing that jumped out at me, was "I have a heavenly butler! I have a heavenly butler!"

I wonder, did this person recently receive a false prophetic word concerning God's 'plan for their life'? God can surely reveal parts of His will for our lives to give us instruction and encouragement, but true prophecy draws one to the Giver of the gifts, the Source of the 'word', the heart of the Holy One. This may begin with repentance, or it may mean drawing even closer, but it never comes to give one (especially an immature believer) 'pie-in-the-sky' dreams of grandeur and glory.

Be careful how you hear. Not everyone is speaking by the Spirit of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment