July 6, 2010

Be 'spiritual' OR know the One true God

I was surfing blogs randomly over a year ago when I came across a neat-looking one with a saddening post. The blogger happily related that she had agreed to go to church with a friend as that was requested upon the person's birthday. She then went on to share, in what came across as a measured and relaxed 'tone', that:
"I am a spiritual person and once was religious. I was filled with the spirit in my 36th year and publically accepted Christ as my savior. It was a profound year for me. But now... I have been on an amazing journey through life thus far, and while I find truth in the teachings of Christ I am no longer a Christian. I have moved past that onto other deeper truths."
I have comes across various blogs, websites and the like in the past where persons make a similar statement, yet on many occasions I can't help but feel there's a somewhat angry or bitter tone and I would think to myself that perhaps something has happened, specifically, that influenced the individual to make the choice to reject the faith and make that decision to walk out of God's hand. What was therefore most heartbreaking about this dear lady's statment is that she didn't exude any of that in phrases such as,
"While I don't adhere to most Christian ritual and belief it is beautiful to watch the sincerity of others in worship. I have realized that I must build a spiritual foundation for my daughter, to not leave her floundering... So she and I discussed what I personally believe. "
It almost came across like deception had just crept in. Of course, there's really no way for me to know.

So, what does she believe now? This:
"I believe earth is a boarding school for the soul. We all are here to do, and go through it all with each other. We must, like the Bonnie Raitt song, "get on into it, down where its tangled and dark"."
Where it is 'tangled and dark'? Is this deeper truth? It leaves lots of questions from where I sit.
A great number of thoughts went through my mind, but mostly a sense of sadness, that here I had found what seems to be a perfect illustration of the much-debated Hebrews 6:4-6:
For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.
The scripture does tell us why persons reject and turn from God and from His appointed way to knowing Him, His Son Jesus. Ultimately it's summed up in one thing:
And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed.
John 3:19-20 (emphasis mine)
We also have the same choice to make as that blog author. We can be spiritual, even of a Christian 'shade', OR we can pursue the only Living God. There is only one Way that He can be known. But this Way is the only way that leads to eternal life.
"Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through me.
If you had known me, you would have known my Father also."

John 14:6-7a

5 comments:

  1. hmmmm...the scripture found in Hebrews is a difficult one to understand. Thousands of books have been written on this topic. I don't really understand it to be perfectly honest with you. I especially don't understand it when it was my Dad who for forty years lived as a Christian who decided to become an atheist. All I can say is that he never felt Jesus in his life. It makes me wonder if he ever became born again and experienced the living Christ. Yet, in Hebrews it says that there are those who have been enlightened who turn away and these same people will never be brought back... that is how I read it.

    "For it is impossible, in the case those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance,"

    If it is the Holy Spirit that points to Jesus who is the Light, would it be safe to say that the above is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?

    Thanks for this post, I have just blogged about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vee, from what you said, I'd have to say that I don't believe your father was truly converted in the first place. The Scriptures tell us that we receive the inner witness, the seal of the Spirit, the spirit of adoption by which we cry out 'Abba, Father'.
    Sure, some babes return to fears they might not be saved if their lives don't automatically become perfect and they sin, esp if they have a struggle with a works-based mentality. However, a Christian is a regenerated being by the Spirit and their very spirits are now one with Christ's (1 Corinth 6:17). It would be impossible to be in Christ and not experience Him for that length of time. Christ is a Christian's very life and the Spirit of God continues a major work in us after conversion which we can recognize inside of us, our way of thinking, desires etc.

    Could it be that he believed himself to be saved because he said a sinner's prayer etc, and that the self-effort of trying to live the moral Christian life finally discouraged and embittered him?

    Your thought on the Scripture was very interesting to me. In my personal opinion I don't think this Scripture is 'the' blasphemy of the Holy Spirit per se, however, I am certain it's possible that such a person who falls away does thereafter generally blaspheme the Holy Spirit. They are already totally disconnected and open to every kind of evil. Heb 10:26-29 gives some indication that the choices of these people are an 'insult to the Spirit of grace' as well as an afront to the Jesus and His blood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this passage. With Paul though, I have to remove stuff to get to the point:

    For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.

    Why can't they be restored unto repentance? Because it is impossible to re-crucify Jesus when you fall away from God as Jesus died for all sins once and for all. To try and crucify Him against only shames Him as your behavior and thoughts declare what He did as insufficient. It isn’t about when someone stops believing in God that they can not come back to the kingdom or that they are still saved if they fall away. It is saying you can not keep trying to claim the blood of Jesus to wash you clean each time you fall away as Jesus did it for all of mankind once and that once is more than sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm behind on my reading and just now got to Vee's post about your piece here. Very timely for me. I am in a book discussion with a group of on-line friends. The book is Mere Churchianity and is very much as you describe here... spiritually instead of God. I find it to be one of the most bitter toned books I've ever read. Naturally everyone reading the book thinks it's fabulous. I have yet to post my first review. I may link to your piece to help my point of view. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lorrie! I've never heard of that book but I wouldn't be surprised as there's a lot of 'spirituality' out there. It tends to attract the biggest following, as opposed to authentic Christianity and pure doctrine.
    Thanks for stopping by :-)

    ReplyDelete