August 15, 2010

God, a pink top, and me

I had been praying frequently, extensively and consistently concerning some needs and wants in my life. I had some changes ahead of me, was not working at the time, and I needed to know how to use wisely what I did have saved. Some of what I brought before God in prayer daily were very critical things, others were of the 'well, it would be nice' kind. I had grown convinced by reading the Scripture that:
1) God cares for me and loves me a lot
2) God owns everything and can do anything
3) God is very generous and kind
4) God answers prayers of faith, with pure motives

As I was thinking of all the needs I needed to talk to God about, I admitted to Him one day (after requesting the really 'important' stuff first), that I also really, really, wanted a really nice pink top. I laid it out before Him, letting Him know that I knew it wasn't critical but it was a great desire; that I don't intend to be superficial and worldly and start asking Him for material things just to satisfy every idle whim or fancy; and that I certainly don't think He is a 'santa claus', or a butler or a vending machine. But, I told Him, I now knew how much He cares about me and loves me; that nothing is hard for Him; that He is also generous and kind; and that He has no problem giving us 'things' if only we keep Him first and not forget Him. 

I prayed about this daily, asking him to choose me just the right pink top. Well, 'that's crazy,' you may say. 'Why don't you just go to the mall and choose a pink top?' To tell you the truth, I don't know what I was thinking either. But I had such confidence because of His word and how I had been growing in prayer and communion with Him. I prayed earnestly about this for about one and a half months. Then when I started shopping, I spent several days visiting downtown shopping centers, and visiting two malls, for a total of three times. I got some nice stuff, but guess what? All the pink tops I saw were either not a shade of pink that I liked (instead they were baby pink or cotton candy pink or tacky pink...just the wrong pink), or were the wrong size or style, or were totally immodest. Every. Single. One. 

Finally once day as I was headed home unsuccessfully from the mall again, and still no appropriate pink top appeared, I actually began to re-assess my request in an inner conversation with myself. "I had been so sure...but maybe God thinks this is such a small thing that I should just go ahead and buy any other color. After all, I saw nice blue tops, even purple. Hey, I like purple...maybe I should just get that purplish-pinkish one? But no, I had asked and kept asking for pink, surely He would grant the request of a pink top if He approved of the request for the top to begin with..." It was an inner battle and I began to pray silently as I headed out of the mall empty-handed again. Finally, I was sure I would be going home because I'd decided to continue to believe for that pink top, just as I had asked. I wouldn't change my request. "God cares for me, and He can do anything." 

Just as I was almost at the door, I noticed a store right near the exit that I had not visited that day at this mall. I had been in the store just the week before, but alas, at that time, there was no appropriate pink top either. The thought suddenly crossed my mind that I should just go have a look again. So off I went. As soon as I stepped over the threshold of the door, my eyes were directly and automatically drawn to a pink top hanging on the left side. It might have spoken to me. All I know is that I knew it was the one while still standing there at the door - even before I tried it. Then I discovered it was the only one in the right size for me. It was the right shade of pink that I loved. It was the right style for my petite frame, my height, everything. It was totally me. In fact, it was nothing like what I had envisioned in my mind. It was actually much prettier, way more stylish, and still modest, more than I had ever hoped for - without breaking my budget. It exceeded my expectations. In. Every. Way.  

Needless to say, I went home with joy and thanksgiving bubbling over on the inside of me. God cares for me!!! He answers even simple, temporal, insignificant requests of faith with pure motives!!! He can do anything, if only I believe!!! When I got home, I put down my shopping bags and, pulling out my pink top, announced to my mom that God had sent me a pink top that I had been asking for. She looked at me a bit stunned. LOL. Of course, few understood - but I didn't care :-)

You crown the year with Your goodness,
And Your paths drip with abundance.
They drop on the pastures of the wilderness,
And the little hills rejoice on every side.
The pastures are clothed with flocks;
The valleys also are covered with grain;
They shout for joy, they also sing.
Psalm 65:11-13

Look at what the LORD has done!

God has done too much for me in my short and tumultuous life to be silent about - especially when there is such a wide forum for His praise at my fingertips! This is another post specifically intended to give God thanks for the steadfast love and abundant mercy He's poured out on me. It is my 'testimony time' of sorts. It is my hope that you will  marvel at His excellencies and be stirred to trust in Him, and His word, more than ever before.

No comments:

Post a Comment