August 17, 2010

What does Israel have to do with you and me?

Lest you be wise in your own sight, I want you to understand this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. And in this way all Israel will be saved, as it is written, "The Deliverer will come from Zion, he will banish ungodliness from Jacob"; "and this will be my covenant with them when I take away their sins." As regards the gospel, they are enemies of God for your sake. But as regards election, they are beloved for the sake of their forefathers. For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.  Romans 11:25-29, ESV

I just wanted to share this to get you thinking about Israel a little more. Israel is a great key to the whole drama that is unfolding not only in the Middle-East but in the entire world. Israel is the end-time wonder that will usher in Jesus Christ's return to rule and reign from that very nation.

I used to be a Christian who, though not anti-Semitic by any means, was honestly more or less indifferent through ignorance. The Jewish people seemed to be from a nation far away from me, maybe even ancient, dangerous to be involved with, somehow important. But I didn't know how it all fit together, so I was just happy with 'my Jesus' (born as a Jew and all!). Thank God for the light and love He shed on me because it really could not have come any other way. 

Oh and one more thing:
"For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable(vs 29), is a cute little verse which we throw around in mainstream Christianity in regard to spiritual gifts and public ministry callings. Please take note of where and in what context it was actually used! I'm not making a point about what else it may apply to, but let's not forget the primary application revealed here: The ethnic nation of Israel will never be forgotten or forsaken by God. In fact, He has a huge and marvelous plan we would never have come up with on our own!

No comments:

Post a Comment