September 25, 2010

Next step, no blueprint


It's Saturday again and so I thought I'd wind down and blog on a random-personal note. That photo above is a view off in the distance, outside my window. It's a peaceful day and I feel good. I've got the joy of the Lord deep down in my soul, and the confidence that He is leading me into the next step that's laid out for me.

As you know, seasons changed just two days ago. Summer is over and Autumn has started for you who have seasons. I don't have those seasons, but I do benefit a little from some cold fronts and earlier nightfall (read: cooler mornings and nights). Also this past week, the Jewish and Messianic Jewish community started celebrating the Feast of Tabernacles, one of the appointed feasts of God to ancient Israel with great significance. It is also a Harvest festival and so it's a joyous occasion of abundance and reflection on God's goodness.

I personally feel that the seasonal change is meaningful for my life, this year in particular. I have stepped up my search for a new job and I feel things coming together finally. Just two nights ago I was just in bed when a much-needed idea popped into my head. It was so out of the blue and I am convinced it was a 'God thing.'

At the moment there is also a sense of urgency about things coming due, and happening, all at the same time. And then just last night, on a public holiday of all days, I received notification that my long awaited appointment for a new machine readable passport (scheduled since 2009 with nearest possible appointment date in July 2011) was moved up to just next month.

I am still praying on what exactly the details of the next couple months will look like, but also on the horizon may be a soon return to school - finally. Let me just stop and give a shout out to Becki who has also finally taken the leap of faith! May God give you much success and I know you have that go-getter attitude that will serve you well :-)  So, what I am still praying about is what exactly to return to. I have a few options but they all involve changing my field of study completely, and maybe trying to do that by jumping right to graduate school, in a new field, on the strength of work experience and proof of general academic capacity.

In the past week I've had reason to make contact with someone I never expected to have anything to do with again. Funny how life can take those interesting turns. Anyway I feel sure that I've made the right decision and that she (the person in question) will appreciate the gesture. It's also so good to know that God has done a good work in me in bringing me from a deep sense of betrayal, past the stage of cool indifference, and on to a wholesome and unaffected good-nature towards this person.

I am thankful to have come to the end of a week that had several challenges and even some heartache. Not only have I come to the end of it, but here I am with the joy of the Lord and a sense of expectation. I can definitely feel some new testimonies a-stirring.

I am learning that not only does God not provide us with a blueprint for our lifelong path, but we really don't need one. The thing about walking with God is that it's walking by faith. It's a life best steered by obedience to His word, and prayer, with waiting in between. God's scheduled pauses have a purpose though, which we will discover looking back (later on in time, or in eternity). I really cannot think of any good thing I've lost by rushing ahead of God - only things I regret. What about you?


3 comments:

  1. Thank you :)

    This decision has been such a long time coming, and I am so nervous about it but at the same time I feel it is the right thing. I feel it is more than just me at work here making this happen. I actually should write a post about it, but I feel like I have been prepared for a while for what for urgently burns inside of me to make happen right now.

    Anyways... it is scary and exciting all in one!

    I can't think of anything good from rushing ahead of God either, but I certainly can look back on a lot of bad things that have happened when I didn't stop and listen for His guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good that you have that assurance that it is the right thing to do, right now. The important thing as we know is God's will in God's time. And I look forward to when you do blog about it all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very exciting about changes on the horizon for you. It is true--we can not rush God. He has His own timing and, of course, knows what's best. Sometimes it's easy to what to control things and timing...but the moment we let go there is this peace. I'd like to say I'm always perfect at letting go...but it still seems like a continuous thing I have to learn to do. :) Glad God healed the betrayal hurt in you.

    Blessings this Monday!

    ReplyDelete